Welcome to Traveling to Later! This is site was created to help you navigate the world of special needs! Whether you have a child with special needs or know someone who does, this site is designed to help you successfully navigate life with those needs so that you and your family can worry less and concentrate more on finding the joy in the journey.
Here are a few things about this site and about us:
- We chose the name “Traveling to Later” because Jesus says several times that we don’t understand everything he is doing in this world, but that we will understand later. (See John 13:7 NIV for just one example.) So we believe that this life is all about traveling to get to “later,” when everything will be clear.
- We have four children, three boys and a girl. Our oldest two boys are our biological children. Our daughter and youngest son were adopted from China.
- Both of our Chinese children have spina bifida (SB). SB is a birth defect that affects each person differently. Our children have different levels of mobility (our daughter walks with the help of braces and our son mainly uses a wheelchair). We started this blog to relay our experiences in traveling and just generally living as a family with children who have different challenges.
- We are constantly in search of our next great travel opportunity for our family. Nothing will stop us from seeing the world!
- We also love to help anyone who is just starting the journey of parenting a child with special needs, and have expanded the blog to contain helpful tips and posts for all parents. If you have questions and can’t yet find the answers on our site, please contact us!